Tuesday 5 August 2014

HONGKONG (FengTing MAI)

Hong Kong.

HONG KONG – Arriving in Hong Kong is a mix of jet-lagged euphoria and sheer excitement. This one-day agenda packs in staggering views, street markets, mellow walks, and authentic food.


The Indie Side of Hong Kong Island




A cuppa at Amical. All photos courtesy of Tink Labs.

The folks at Hong Kong-based Tink Labs describe themselves as a bunch of marketing people who are also travel obsessives. Their first product, Handy, is a smartphone rental service with built-in city guides. CEO Terence Kwok, a HK native, plays our built-in guide to the city. (Pretty handy, don't you think?)
HONG KONG – I've lived in Hong Kong most of my life, spending only a short stint in the United States for study. Although I travel a lot for work, I always look forward to coming home. I've found that despite being labeled as a city firmly focused on "out with the old, in with the new," certain areas of Hong Kong still retain their old-world charm. These small cultural pockets — neighborhoods of boutiques, artisanal bakeries, and independent coffee shops — are helping to enrich Hong Kong's bourgeoning cultural scene.
Unar Coffee

Tai Hang

Over the past few years, this area has developed into a friendly community neighborhood. I love the eateries that line the near-empty back streets, and one of my favorite coffee shops, Unar Coffee, can be found here. This tiny, European-style coffeehouse brews a great cup of coffee, served from a hole in the wall. I come for my latte fix at lunchtime to escape the office. There's not really any seating, so everyone stands around to chat.
Further down the road is Lab Made, my go-to for surviving the hot Hong Kong summers. "Ice cream scientists" serve liquid nitrogen-frozen ice cream, which is as fun to watch being made as it is to eat. The flavors change daily, and it's a Tink Labs team favorite.
Although Chinese bakeries are everywhere in Hong Kong, finding a decent French patisserie is nearly impossible. Le Gout fills the void when I've had one too many custard buns, and I'm particularly addicted to their butter cookies. They're usually so busy that I can only really snag something on the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment